Saturday, July 02, 2005

Read My Lips

1.
It was a warm night and the sky clear in the blooming month of April as I stood watching a man cleaning the windshield of a car in a store parking lot. He was not the usual man that one could find cleaning windows with a crumpled up newspaper - - nor was he unhealthy looking or the clothes that he wore ragged - and perhaps it is unnecessary to give further account of what alludes to the memory of his nature: for it appeared that the man had an agenda that was beyond the calling of vice.
And so captivated I was by this man that I dared ask him what it was I wanted to know of him, 'I want to ask you a question,' said I, 'What do you think about 9-11?'
And the man continued the cleaning motion without pause for reflection, as if he was waiting for exactly that question in time from me. He responded in a woeful yet indignant familiarity, 'Bush shouldn't have brought down those towers,' and freezing then in position- leaning over the car- he turned ever so slightly his head and from the corner of his eyes made sure to catch my attention, which bid his disapproval well.

2.
On the edge of South Central, a woman was behind the counter to a store, her name-tag read 'Daisy'. Daisy, a hispanic girl in her late teens had a peculiar way of dealing with impatient customers as I observed well - - that she was Genuinely nice. Daisy enjoyed the toil of work and even appeared to be such a rare bird- that it seemed as though nothing could shake her from the tree that she nest in - - and so with a good nature about me I thought to give it a try and shake it, 'Let me ask you a question...what do you think about 9-11?'

And Daisy began to laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home